Our History

Our History

Martell’s began in 1917 when William George Martell opened a small bedstead shop in London Road, Elephant and Castle. After his passing in 1924, his eldest son Edward William Martell took over to grow the family business.

In 1930, Edward and his wife Ada relocated to Sutton, where Martell’s introduced its removals services for the first time.

A major milestone came in 1964 with the purchase of The Depository in Queens Road, East Grinstead, creating a purpose-built storage facility to support the growing removals department.

In 2003, Martell’s purchased a new facility in East Grinstead relocating the removals and storage department and launching its first self-storage warehouse, completed in 2005. 

In 2016 the retail side of the business moved to a historic site in East Grinstead town centre and following the pandemic the shop was refreshed. 

What began as a small bedstead shop grew into a trusted removals, storage, and retail company serving generations of local families. From introducing removals in the 1930s to developing modern self-storage facilities in the 2000s, Martell’s has always evolved to meet the needs of the community.

Vehicles through the ages

Customer Testimonials